bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have been charged emergency tax year 2014-15

Customer Question

I have been charged emergency tax for the year 2014-15 had a tax code OT M1. Now I have done my tax rebate , got the cash back and just wondering if my tax code will be changed to a normal one automatically or I have to do something to change it? Thanks.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Well it should be, but you never know. Also HMRC have a habit of advising the employer of a change (you can monitor this from your pay slips) and filing to tell the tax payer and vice verse.
Your solution is to write to the tax office who last issued you with a code, the address can be found on your notice of coding, and request an up to date tax one. Also check your pay slips, they may give you a clue as to whether a change has been made and you not informed (see above).
Remember, on their own admission, HMRC send out thousands of incorrect tax codes so you musty always check and, if necessary, challenge on each and every time a new one is issued. HMRC have got my initial code wrong these 20 years; you could have knocked me down with a feather when this year it was right, well nearly! If correct, of course, a code will make you tax neutral at the year end; they are actually quite good at that!
I do hope I have helped with that little canter through the coding system.
Thank you for your support.
Apologies for the typos paragraph 2 should be 'failing' and 4 'must!'