TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I work as an online medical transcriber and complete self assessment

Customer Question

I work as an online medical transcriber and complete self assessment for tax purposes. In December I had to purchase a new computer at a cost of £800 in order to be able to carry out my work, can I claim this as expenses on my self assessment tax return.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

You can claim capital allowances on the cost either over a period of several tax years under the writing down allowance rules at 18% per annum on a reducing balance or in one year under the annual investment allowance rules. You should disallow a percentage of your claim to reflect any private usage of the computer. Given the relatively low cost, it would be simplest to write off the total cost against the year of purchase. Read about capital allowances here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does this mean that I can put down say £500 (as the total cost being £800 and I do use the computer for a small amount of personal use) down as a capital allowance for this year?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
If you want to claim the expense in one year under the annual investment allowance rules, you take £800 and deduct the private use element and put the resulting figure into box 23 of the short self-employment pages here or box 49 of the full self-employment pages here.