bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My wife passed away recently and had work related personal

Customer Question

my wife passed away recently and had work related personal pension policy with Scottish Widows who have paid a lump sum into my bank account could you advise me about the tax implecations
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

On death all a deceased's assets are aggregated and subjected to Inheritance Tax (IHT). IHT kicks in at 325K and is at 40% flat rate on the surplus. If over 10% of the estate is bequeahted for charitable purposes then the rate falls to 36%. The 325K is inflated by any charitable and inter spousal bequests also.

Inter spousal bequests are thus outside the scope of IHT. A anything received from your late wife esapes any UK taxation irrespective of the amount so the lump sum is yours tax free anyway.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.