bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Im female 60 years old, I have been working as a self employed

Customer Question

Im female 60 years old, I have been working as a self employed hairdresser at home since 1982. I have had an accountant dealing with my tax affairs & for some reason I have not paid any National Insurance Contributions. I am now separated from my husband & cannot depend on him. I am concerned that if I ask for a pension forecast, I will be asked for a lot of money. Please advise on how I should go forward. Many thanks Martha
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello Martha, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Are you absolutely sure about your NI contributions? It would be normal when your accountant filed your annual self assessment tax return for HMRC to advise you of any tax and NI due on your self employment profits and your , payable by 31 January the year after the end of the tax year.

Otherwise you should have been in receipt of annual letters from NI administration reminding you of the necessity to settle as your State Pension will be adversely affected.

You can, in any event, pay off arrears of NI if necessary. You will soon know if you ask fro a forecast. You won't be faced with a bill, simply a low forecast.

You are liable for Class 2 NI if your net income exceeds 5965 pa plus Class 4 NI if your income exceeds 8060 pa.

I do hope that I have been able to shed some light on your situation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Keith

Thanks for that.

I think that for a lot of the years, as I was more dependant on my husbands earnings, I was not earning much, maybe under the level at which I would pay N.I. Do you think I would still get some sort of pension ?

Yes, I believe you might entitled to some sort of State Pension.

You can obtain an estimate through this web site:

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-statement

Thank you for your excellent support.