Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

The tax office say I owe them £1800 back tax cause one of my

Customer Question

the tax office say I owe them £1800 back tax cause one of my employers was not taking enough tax out of my wages ,I have always paid tax on both my wages ,i asked them why they did not notifie me about this and they said it was for me to notice i was not paying enough tax ,i am now paying £312.80 a month out of my wage and £22.40 out of my pension of £111.84 a month i feel that they are to blame as i did speak to them a couple of years ago and they told me that every thing had been sorted with my tax
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question
Could you advise what tax code HAD been operating against each of these wages, and when each of the jobs started (approx dates will be fine)
Can you remember whether you handed each employer a P45 (from a previous employment) or whether you completed form P46 (in the absence of an P45)
Was it the latter employer you joined, that took too little tax?
Do you have any evidence of the contact you made with HMRC when you advise that they said it was all fine (telephone records or letters)
What tax years are HMRC asking you to repay money for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my main employer I started working app 20/22 yrs ago and my part time job I started 1974 my full time employment is an lgv and my part time job was a retained fireman which I retired from 2 yrs ago I spoke to my main employer who said that she has always use the tax code sent to her by the tax office it goes into the computer and that's how she now what tax to deduct, when I spoke to the tax office I was kept waiting 59 mins before they came back on line to tell me every thing had been sorted and that I did not owe any tax I may have had a letter to confirm this but I move home 2 years ago and I destroyed most of old paper work sorry

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul
Thanks for your response
So you originally just worked part time (from 1974) and stayed that way until a full time job arose in 1992/1993ish ?
When you started the main job, did you tell them you already had a part time job on which your tax allowances were being used for? As you would had to have completed a P46 - so perhaps did not declare the only job?
Also what tax years are the tax office saying you owe tax for please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a letter dated 18/05/2014 fromhm revenue stating that upto the 5th april 2013 I have under paid tax of £902.76 it states we understand you may not now you owe this tax I do not know where the other £900 they claim I owe has come from in a short time of 2 years as I have paid tax from my main wage they say its back to 2010 that its owing from

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul
I do need answers to all my questions please or I cannot advise a best course of action and whether you have any grounds to appeal.
If this letter is from May 2014? Thats over a year ago - we may be out of time to appeal this
Can you advise that this date is correct and
Could you advise what tax code HAD been operating against each of these wages
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have always worked full time from leaving school but I then started p/time from 1974 as well as full time( 2jobs) I full time I part time I was a miner then I worked as a lgv driver full time and part time f/fighter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the employer new I had a part time job when I started work for them I have always paid tax on both jobs

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information
So when you left being a miner did you then JUST have the job as a P/time fire fighter - or did you start with LGV driving straightaway and what forms did you fill in regarding tax as you would have had a P45 from mining - which I would have assumed would have handed to the employer where you were an LGV driver and then all this time you also had the part time job as the fire fighter.
Can you advise that this date is correct
I need to follow the paper trail of tax papers to see IF the employer (full or part time are at fault) #
And I need to know what tax code HAD been operating against each of these wages (LGV and P/T Fire fighter)
For the years for which the tax office say you owe money (you would have been issued a P2 notice of coding each year for each employment )
Please answer ALL the questions o I can help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tax code used f/time 948 L245C p/time employment 507L

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went from miner to lgv no break inbetween

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul
Thanks for your response
Then you have had the benefit of two sets of tax allowances - so do owe the money. How the PT employment changed to give you full allowances may be your employers fault, and all I can advise is that you write to them, just asking for the following information (Fire Fighter employment - which you advise you left in 2013/2014)
Please could I trouble you to advise me what tax codes you used for me against my pay for the tax years 2009/2010, 2010/2011 2011/2013 and 2013/2014 and how these tax codes came to be used - for example did you change them yourself or did the tax office advise you of any change.
Your time in this matter would be much appreciated.
Do NOT tell them why you are asking, because if an employer feels they are at fault, they tend to say less than is needed and you need to establish did someone in payroll make a mistake one year and add on too many tax allowances OR did HMRC make the mistake.
If the employer is at fault - you then wrote to the tax office and ask them to consider "Employer Error" on the basis that you had no idea that this mistake was being made and had every reason to believe your tax affairs were in order, especially as you had worked for the Fire Dept since 1974 and had no problem before. HMRC may then seek to collect this from the employer.
If HMRC made the mistake (as the Fire Dept advise the bigger tax code was a result of a P6 issued to them from the tax office) then you still have grounds to appeal but are less likely to win an appeal, as HMRC always send a P2 (to you the taxpayer) and then it WAS up to you to check matters.
And if this is back from 2014 that they first advised you they may refuse to consider an appeal due to the fact this was now over a year ago.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance and when you get the reply from the employer (Fire Dept) if you need any further assistance in taking this forward - then please do come back to Just Answer and you ca always ask for me Sam Tax.
In the meantime it would be appreciated if you could rate the level of service I have provided as this ensures Just Answer credit me for my time and expert advise.
Good luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a p60 for 2009/10 for my main job pay for the year £11,189.64 tax d/ducted £941.80 tax code 948/L245C I have a letter from HM REVENUE from2011 which reads as follows I have now made the necessary amendments to the tax calculations previously issued for the year 2009/10 you did not receive the benefits of all your tax free p/allowance this calculation includes an overpayment for an earlier year

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your additional information - I also need the tax code please ypou are giving me the employer reference
(Final Tax code near bottom of P60)
sam