TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am about to purchase a brand new car which will accommodate,

I am about to purchase a brand new car which will accommodate, in the boot, my husbands electric wheelchair. The neccessary hoist will have to be transferred from our present car to the new one .This cost will be on us. We are not in the mobility scheme. My husband gets Attendance Allowance at the low rate as he requires help with washing and dressing . I have been informed by a neighbour that I could claim the VAT back. As this is, for us, a large amount if money I would like to know if this is correct and if so how would I go about it. I have already signed papers and paid deposit for the purchase of the new vehicle.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
The adaptation of the vehicle may qualify for VAT relief. Qualifying adaptations may typically include a hoist to lift a wheelchair into or onto the vehicle.
The car itself will not be eligible for VAT relief. If you are having goods (including motor vehicles) adapted to suit your particular condition, the supply of this service, together with the goods used in the adaptation process, may be zero-rated.
You would use form VAT1615A Declaration for zero-rated VAT supply of adapted vehicles and services.
You give the form to the supplier. The supplier will keep it safe
as they may be asked to show it to a VAT officer at a future date.
The form is located at the end of the publication found here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/389229/vat1615.pdf