TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am making enquiries regarding transfering some of my wifes

I am making enquiries regarding transfering some of my wifes tax allowance to mine. at this moment in time i am paying tax at 20% on both my pensions. my wife however earns less than 4.000 on here pension and having read about the system in place. am I elligable for this practice
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
The new Marriage Allowance will let some transfer some of their Personal Allowance to their partner. This is the amount of income people can get before paying tax.
Marriage Allowance lets a person transfer £1,060 of their Personal Allowance to their partner. This is £10,600 for the 2015 to 2016 tax year.
Your spouse can claim Marriage Allowance if all the following apply:
married or in a civil partnership
her annual income is £10,600 or less, plus up to £5,000 of tax-free savings interest
her partner’s annual income (your annual amount) is between £10,601 and £42,385
she was born on or after 6 April 1935
She can transfer some to you if all of the above applies.