bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I owe 15000 pounds to rev&customs...i had an arrangement to

Customer Question

I owe 15000 pounds to rev&customs...i had an arrangement to pay 250 pounds pw untill cleared but couldn't honour it and after 3 months stopped paying as a result of a decline in business. Things are getting better in business and i want to get this arrangement up and running again...do you think I have a chance the rev will agree ....i dont have any spare cash except what i generate through my barber shop business. Many thanks. ..stephen.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello Steven, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

You must contact the HMRC office concerned and agree a repayment schedule which you can manage. I regret that having effectively defaulted on an agreement once you will not find that Department over helpful, but persevere. After all it is not in HMRC's interests to bancrupt you in which event they would receive very little and the debt effectively written off.

In view of the level of the debt however either Bancruptcy of a Creditors' Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) is a route out of your problems which you might wish to consider as it gets your creditors off your back so to speak. It does depend upon the level of your assets of which you would effectively loose control or even loose completely. You should consult a trusted, local professional for advice in such a course of action.

I do hope that my answer has been of some use to you with your current difficulties.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HiCustomerand thank you for your help. ..I have spoken to customs and revenue and got a telling off and as you predicted no promise to agree an arrangement. ..another phone conversation is planned soon to discuss the way ahead so any advice on what to say to sway them in favour of an arrangement would be appreciated. This week i have already paid online and over the phone a total of £600 to show I'm in a better position than ever and similar payments can continue ...I have rated you a top rating for your response. ..many thanks. .stephen

Thank you for your support, Stephen.

I am so pleased for you that the matter seems to be resolving itself satisfactorially.