TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have had the details of my and my wife's tax affairs for

Customer Question

I have had the details of my and my wife's tax affairs for 2013/2014 for several weeks now and I have been trying to send them on-line. Mine by Government Gateway, my wife's by the HMRC site.
Again and again I enter the opening on-line pages and, either get the User ID or password ***** or, if accepted, start a "roundabout" going back again and again to the beginning.
I have asked for an Activation Code but none has been forthcoming. I want to pay any tax payable or, in my wife's case, get a substantial refund. My wife has now got a Late Tax Return penalty notice.
How do I proceed, let alone start on my 2014/2015 Returns?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Both returns should be sentr via the HMRC site, not the Government Gateway. Can you confirm that you are having trouble with both your own and your wife's self-assessment tax returns please. Would you please confirm that you have the login code and the password ***** each of your own and your wife's self-assessment accounts. Have you completed a self-assessment tax return for either yourself or your wife in the past? When did you apply for an activation code exactly? Which of the two of you was that for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need help with both my own and my wife's self-assessment. She has, in fact, just received a Late Tax Return daily penalty reminder! I have the log-in code and password ***** both SA accounts - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I have completed SA returns for myself but not for my wife.

I applied for an activation code for myself several weeks ago and again on Monday this week as nothing had arrived. I didn't think I needed one for my wife.

According to my calculations (correct in the past) we are both due refunds - substantial in my wife's case, small in mine.

It is as if the HMRC are deliberately making it impossible to get refunds!

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

I hope you will bear with me as I'm trying to determine where we are exactly for each of you and your wife.

You only get an activation code sent to you the first time you register to complete your tax return using the HMRC site as opposed to using a commercial software program or on paper.

You say you have not completed a return for your wife before. If that is the case, you will need an activation code which should be sent to you in the post when you initially register for the online tax return service. When you get the activation code, you login and, once you are in, you enter the activation code and you are then able to complete the tax return. If you have yet to activate your wife's account, you won't be able to complete her tax return.

As for yourself, you will need to wait until 7 days after you requested a new activation code before you ask for a new one. You ought to wait 10 days, in fact. Take a look at the notes here for more information. The actual login page is here.

If I was in the same room as you, I would be able to see what the problems are. If you get the login wrong three times in quick succession you will be locked out for 2 hours before you can try again.

This is what I suggest you do to cut down on the time and frustration. Call the online services helpdesk on the number here (0300(###) ###-#### ***** ask them to tell you exactly what the state of play is for each of your own and your wife's online services accounts. Ask them if the accounts have been activated and, if they haven't ask them if they can issue new activation codes instead of you applying for them online. They may say that you have to wait before new activation codes can be issued.

There is a video guide to completing the online tax return here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

I accidentally posted my answer as an info request so that you were unable to rate it. My apologies. Here it is an answer: