taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

1. compensation - are these taxable, even if

1. compensation for accidents - are these taxable, even if received from outside the uk
2. buy to let property - if this is the only property owned by that person, is the profit on sale subject to capital gains tax.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Compensation or damages awarded for personal injury frpm accidents is non taxable.

Capital gain from sale of a buy to let property, albeit the only property owned by a person, is chargeable to CGT. You have to live in the property as your main residence to claim private residence relief against CGT.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

I thank you for accepting my answer.
Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.