TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

How do I claim back tax my uniform supplied

Customer Question

How do I claim back tax for laundering my uniform supplied by my employer, De-La-Rue,from
August 2003.....until....June 2014. What would the sum involved be? Thank you.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
Most people can claim back within the past four years, so back to 2011 - plus the current year - if you've been wearing the uniform all that time. So a basic rate taxpayer, claiming the standard uniform allowance for 2011-2015, could reclaim £60 in total.
Some occupations have more specific limits, often to do with specialist uniforms, with the maximum allowance of £140. A higher rate taxpayer would get back £56 tax on that for each year they claim. Check the full list of occupations to see if yours is listed.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim32712.htm
You may be able to claim tax relief on the cost of:
buying, repairing or replacing small tools you need to do your job, eg scissors or an electric drill
cleaning, repairing or replacing specialist clothing, eg a uniform or safety boots
You may be able to claim a standard annual amount of £60 in tax relief if your occupation is not on the list.
You don’t need to keep records of what you’ve paid for if you claim a flat rate deduction.
If you don’t already fill in a Self Assessment tax return, and your allowable expenses are under £2,500 for the tax year, fill in form P87 and send it to the address on the form.
https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/PersonalTax_iForms/1.0/P87&template=P87_en_1.2.3.xdp
The above is the url for completing the form.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Wanted to touch base with you and make sure all worked out.
Were you able to access the url I provided?