taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I'm about to sell my company shares (I left the company

I'm about to sell my company shares (I left the company two years ago so I lose my entrepreneur's relief). I want to know if I sell in one year if the actual gain I make is added to my income and I pay at the higher rate or if it is only classed as a gain and therefore I pay 18% as I am a basic tax payer.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Any gain made by you is chargeable to CGT at 18%, 28% or a combination of both, depending on your taxable income including the gain in the year of sale.

Example ..
Taxable income after personal allowance (42,385-10,600) = £31,785
Gain on sale of shares after gains allowance of £11,100 = £10,000

As your income is already at the maximum level of threshold at basic rate, your gain will be taxed at 28%.

if on the otherhand, your taxable income after personal allowance is £21,785, then the gain will be taxed at 18% because income plus gain is up to £31,785.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I ask advice based on figures.

I want £70k net for my shares in my former company.

From rental income I get £18k a year.

To be most tax efficient can you let me know what they would need to pay in a) 1 year, b) 2 years, and c) 3 years, for me to get my net figure.

Thanks so much,

Jan

Jan, thank you for your reply.

Assuming the tax allowances/rates remain the same.

If your only income is £18k then your taxable income after personal allowance is (18,000-10,600) £7,400.
You can have this go up by another (31,785-7,400) £24,385 and your CGT would be 18%.
This equates to a capital gain of £35,485 before gains allowance.

So if you wish your CGT to remain at 18%, you should sell the shares in two instalments netting you £35k in each year.

I hope this is helpful.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate/accept the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.

Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Jan, just for clarity

When I say "you should sell the shares in two instalments netting you £35k in each year." I mean in two tranches .. sell half in year 1 and other half in year 2.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.