TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

There. I'm a homeowner of a property that I currently rent

hi there. I'm a homeowner of a property that I currently rent rooms out in, all declared and above board. My partner is going to move in with me soon and he will be contributing to the mortgage (in my sole name) whilst we continue to have at least one lodger. Can you let me know if I will need to pay tax on my partners contribution to my mortgage? Obviously I want to avoid this and am trying to decide whether to get a new joint mortgage. At the moment we are not married although we plan to get married in early 2016 and would bring this forward if it changes the tax situation.
thanks
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are receiving means-tested benefits, your partner’s earnings and savings will be added to yours when they work out if you are entitled to benefit, and how much.
If you are sharing the home as a couple, then he is simply sharing the bills that you jointly incur. That is not the same as if you were letting a room to him.
If he is not a lodger then you are not taxed on his portion of the expenses. Even if the home is only in your name.