bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have just returned from holiday and have an email from HMRC

Customer Question

I have just returned from holiday and have an email from HMRC advising that I am running out of time to receive a refund of over payment, BUT I am wary because the email requested my account number, debit card number, sort code, card verification number and VBV password. Am I being paranoid?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
No, but I suggest that you are the subject of a prospective scam. This sort of approach is a well known fraud. HMRC do not need any of that detail to refund you over paid tax, they can send you a PMGPO, a sort of cheque. In any event, if you had asked for a refund from them when you made your annual self assessment tax return and told them your account details they would have this information in their data base anyway. It is 99.99% certain that someone is trying to scam you. Have nothing to do with it. I do hope I have given you advice which you will find useful.