bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I work on a 28/28 rotation UK/Oman, with my contract having

Customer Question

I work on a 28/28 rotation UK/Oman, with my contract having being written in the UAE, so there is no tax taken at source. I realise that I am liable for income tax if I stay in the UK for certain periods of time, however, my company requires me to work in the UK (Scottish) office during the time I spend in the UK. Do I have any rights regarding their National Insurance contributions for me, or can I insist that they take income tax at source for me???
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Please advise are you one of these one month on one month off in the UAE employees?
Sorry my mistake, you are! I am composing an answer.
If you are resident in the UK for more than 183 days in any one tax year [and on 28/28 you are slap on the borderline] you are liable to UK income Taxation (IT) on your world wide income. If your company does not deduct IT and NI at source then you will be billed by HMRC when you file your annual self assessment tax return. You will then be liable to two classes of NI whilst as an employee you would only have to meet Class 1 contributions. It would save you a great deal of annual hassle, not to mention better regulating your cash flow, were you to request your employer to operate PAYE on your emoluments. I have an acquaintance in exactly your position and his employer operates PAYE for him and his colleagues.
Sorry, forgot signature block!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** aware of my own responsibilities regarding IT and NI, my concern is that my company requires me to work in the UK office during my time in the UK, does this requirement make them liable to any employer regulations regarding NI contributions, pensions, etc...

Well, interesting point that! I would submit that it might. If you took your average month's emoluments and derived a daily rate, then applied that rate to your UK duties, if it exceeded the lower income limit of GBP 486 in a month then a liability would exist. Life would be so much easier if they just operated PAYE on behalf of their Gulf employees. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.