TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Can you let me know where I need to put figures

Can you let me know where I need to put figures for purchasing property on tax return for period 2012/13 - purchase property in Feb 2013, rented one month in March 2013. Tax office advised to complete tac return for the year.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
You don't need to tell HMRC that you have bought a property but you do need to disclose any rental income from it. The rental income goes into the SA105 property pages which you can find here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/354376/sa105-2013.pdf
If you wish you can tell HMRC when you bought the property by putting a note in box 19 on page TR7 of the core SA100 tax return here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/377241/sa100_2012-2013_.pdf
I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you but I just need to know where I can put the following items on the form - fridge, freezer, cooker, curtain poles, curtains. Can I also put on the return gas safety check and my deposit protection certificates?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do put the above items on the online self assessment form, if any?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Is the property let on a fully furnished or unfurnished basis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unfurnished basis with a few items supplied as above.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
You can claim for the gas safety check and deposit protection certificates. I usually put them in box 27 but some put them in box 29.
You cannot claim for the other items as they are first time purchases. Prior to 2013/14, you could claim for the replacement of the types of items you mentioned but that appears to have stopped with effect from 6 April 2013.
The accountancy/tax profession has complained about the lack of clarity for those with unfurnished lettings who don't have the choice of claiming a wear and tear allowance (instead of renewals) as those with fully furnished property lets do. So, it appears at the moment at least that the cost of replacements will not be deductible either from 6 April 2013.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I know what to include and where I can finish the tax return!
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
I don't follow your last comment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help with this - I can now go ahead and complete!
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
OK. Thanks and good luck.