taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

My email was hacked. My website was then then compromised.

My email was hacked. My website was then then compromised. Subsequently around ten customers card details have been stolen. I have taken measures to rectify the problem. Should I now contact the customers an am I liable to be sued for negligence?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Have they suffered a financial loss?
Do you normally have virus protection/security of your records?

many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The email was hacked through an apple Iphone and a false payment was implanted into the website which gathered card details.

Michael, thank you for your reply.

I think you should notify your ten customers of what has happened and ask them to contact their card providers and request a replacement card.
The bank/provider would put a stop on the original card in the interim.

You should make your customers aware of what remedial action has been taken by you to alleviate it happening again.

I don't think they would sue you for negligence provided you can demonstrate it was not your fault.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Providing I get the issue resolved and the website "hacker free", are there any other procedures I should go through before getting the website online again.

Thank you for your reply.

What you are proposing looks good..
You should also test it.
Please ensure you take backups of all information at regular intervals.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Should I inform the police about this?

Michael, thank you for your reply.

I am not sure what this would achieve. I don't think they are interested in this unless there is actual loss of money involved.

Most important is to put a block on use of credit cards where identity has been stolen.

I hope this is helpful.
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.