bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I live in a mobile home on private land as security should

Customer Question

I live in a mobile home on private land as security should i be paying council tax when it hasn't got planning permission to be there?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith one of the experts on Just Answer and happy to help you with your question. If you live in Scotland planning permission is irrelevant as the planning rules differ. In England planning permission has been required these 50 years to preclude the proliferation of grotty, unauthorised caravan sites! Council tax is determined by the Valuation Office Agency, part of HMRC, not the local council. Here is a relevant extract from Northampton Borough Council: 'The pitch for a caravan or the mooring for a boat, is charged Council Tax if someone lives in the caravan or the boat as their main home (known as their sole or main residence). The decision whether a caravan or boat should have a Council Tax bill is made by the Valuation Office Agency and not by local Councils.' Citizens' Advice point out that: 'a holiday caravan or boat if it's on a property where council tax is paid' which might provide you with a loophole, but note the word 'council tax.' Were the premises upon which the caravan is sited subject to business rates then this exemption would not apply. My view is that you will be due council tax unless you can get the Valuation Office Agency to remove the caravan from its listing. I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.