taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have been sent a self assessment statement from hmrc without

I have been sent a self assessment statement from hmrc without actually submitting one, does this mean I don't need to? And if not will this be fixed will I receive any future bills for same period?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please advise what this statement is...
Is there a reference number on the bottom of the statement?
Is it a P800 calculation?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no reference at the bottom of the statement . There is,a no. On the top left and it appears as follows:

39800

190016:********:001

I

Thank you for your reply.

I am a qualified accountant and received a self assessment statement last week. At the bottom it reads SA300.

The purpose of this statement is to update you with your tax account position - statement of account similar to a bank statement.

Your question is -

You would have filed a tax return and this statement is updating your statement of account taking into account payments made against tax assessment. You should get a statement around June of every year. You don't need to file anything but if there is any amount underpaid as shown, you should make a payment by 31 Jul 2015. If you are filing a tax return, you should continue to do so unless HMRC say otherwise.

The amounts would be different every year based on your tax payable in the tax year.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.