taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I HAVE 5 BUY TO LETS , TOTAL MOROTGAGES £900 PCM INCOME £1920

I HAVE 5 BUY TO LETS , TOTAL MOROTGAGES £900 PCM INCOME £1920 I MADE £12000 AND PAID £2400 TAX WHAT DIFFERANCE WILL THE NEW RULES MAKE TO ME
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

The difference is on tax relief on mortgage interest .. this would be restricted to basic rate of tax i.e. 20%.

Buy to let landlords -

In a Budget the Chancellor slashed the tax relief that private landlords receive on their mortgage interest payments, cutting it from 40pc or 45pc to 20pc by April 2020.

There is some useful information here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/11724804/Buy-to-let-How-todays-Budget-will-affect-landlords.html

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I just need to no the difference in numbers I cant understand this 20% or 40% tax relief at the moment I just seem to pay 20% on profit will that stay the same I am not a 40% tax payer

Lindsay, thank you for your reply and clarification.

As you are a basic rate tax payer paying tax at the rate of 20% on your profits/income, the changes introduced in the Budget would not affect you.

It is for those taxpayers who have been claiming relief at their topr rate of tax.