Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My Australian company ( a trustee ) has purchased a UK rental

My Australian company ( a trustee ) has purchased a UK rental property which it rents out on a short let basis. Rent is collected by managing agent (also responsible for finding tenants) and permission has been obtained for rent to be remitted in gross.A UK/Australia double tax agreement is in place and tax is being paid in Australia. Q. Is there liability to pay tax in UK?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question
Yes there is as the rent arises in the UK - and the permission of having gross status just allows the tax be to paid monthly without deduction of tax but does not negate the UK tax position to still be considered.
But UK property that generates rental income also remains liable to tax in the UK