Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am a Case Manager working with a client aged 16. A property

I am a Case Manager working with a client aged 16. A property has just been purchased on his behalf. This property requires significant adaptations in order for him to live and access the property. His mother has been told that because the property is habitable ( not for him !) that full council tax is chargeable. The property is currently empty, the extensive adaptation work will not start until possibly October. I believe he should be eligible for some reduction on the council tax, as full payment is being made on the property he is currently living in, and will remain in until all work is completed. Due to various health issues he has it is not possible for him to live in the property whilst the work is carried out.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on just Answer.
I am afraid the advise his mother has been advised on is correct,as matters stand as sadly the considerations of adaptions for those who need them is not a permissible remit for the local council to consider any exemption from the full council tax position s it covers when the property is inhabitable for a standard day on day basis for non disabled individuals but sadly not in consideration for essential adaptions for those with additional needs.
#
My advise however is ask the local MP for assistance in challenging this ruling on the basis of discrimination - they are likely to be more effective in perhaps asking for a concession on this occasion. Or the local press ... but it may be the mother will have to enforce either/both of these actions, as I am sure you have to be careful what you involve yourself in due to professionalism and consideration of your job.
Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance, I wish I could offer a more encouraging straight forward response
Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax