Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I need advice with tax upon death. My mother purchased a house

Customer Question

I need advice with tax upon death. My mother purchased a house but the solicitor recommended the house be bought in her son's name so that in the event of a care home being required they couldn't take the home in payment. She subsequently lived there and paid no rent. The house was eventually sub let and she received the income as she had to go in to care; we are now wondering what the tax situation will be for the value of the house, will it be included in her inheritance tax bill or when her son sell's it, will it be for him to pay capital gain's tax ?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you confirm that your mother paid for the house. Was the rent disclosed by your mother to HMRC? Is your mother still alive? If not, what is her estate worth? Was she a widow?