taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I own and occupy a grade 2 listed building. I have recently

I own and occupy a grade 2 listed building. I have recently obtained listed build consent and planning permission for work on the building that I believe meets the requirements of VAT notice 708, is "alteration" and should therefore be zero rated. How does the contractor that I have chosen to do the work avoid charging me VAT (he is VAT registered)?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You say you have recently obtained listed building consent and planning permission.
Please advise if your application for relevant consent was made prior to 21 March 2012 or after that date.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the consent was made earlier this year but that should be academic. The work meets the requirements of section 9 of VAT notice 708.

Kevin, thank you for your reply.

If you are satisfied that the work meets the requirements of Section 9 of VAT Notice 708, then you should give a copy of the approval for alterations to your contractor before commencement of work to enable him to charge you zero-rated VAT on work undertaken.

Refer him to Section 2 of the Notice.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I've answered my own question and should of read section 9 more thoroughly. Section 9 basically explains the zero rating system as it was and during the transition period not as it is now. I assume that the 3 year transition period was chosen to match the typical 3 year expiry period of consents. What's your interpretation?

Kevin, thank you for your reply.

You will recall I wished to know when the application was made to see if the tansitional arrangement applies.

Unless application for consent was made before 21 Mar 2012, zero-rated VAT does not apply.

Even if the application was made before 21 Mar 2012, work has to be completed by 20 Sep 2015 (sec 9.2). The transitional period was to cover work in progress at 21 Mar 2012 and work yet to be commenced at that date.

I hope this is helpful.

Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)