TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am a non resident who is selling my home in England where

Customer Question

I am a non resident who is selling my home in England where I have spent more than 90 days in each year for the 2yrs I have owned it I will make about 30,000 profit less 7000 for solicitor and estate agent fees plus I spent 6000 on renovating will I have to pay capital gains tax?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello,As a non-UK resident you will get Private Residence Relief on the UK residential property if you or your spouse or civil partner were either living in the UK for that tax year, or stayed overnight at the property at least 90 times in the tax year (the 90 day rule).As long as the property was not let out while you were not in the UK, you will be allowed Private Residence Relief on the Capital Gain and have no tax to pay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you will this be affected by another house I have in England which I am keeping for my family

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
You can only designate one property as your main residence. As long as you have not designated the other then you can use the residence relief for the one you wish to sell. The one you are keeping can then be designated as main after the sale of the first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome.