TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have bought a new house rental investment. To set

I have bought a new house for a rental investment. To set the house up I had to put in flooring and a fridge freezer prior to the tenants moving in, can I offset these expenses against UK tax?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

You cannot claim for the cost of the fridge freezer but you will be able to claim for a replacement should one be needed at some point in the future.

If the flooring was in a condition so as to make the house difficult or impossible to let or it was dangerous, then I would claim a deduction for new flooring. Some would see that as capital expenditure, especially if the price paid for the property reflected its poor condition however, which you would add to the cost of the house. As I said I would claim it if was needed to put the house into letting condition but treat it as capital expenditure if the place was derelict when you bought it..

Take a look here and here (paragraphs 1.1 and 1.2) for information on pre-letting expenditure.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi again.
It's been a couple of days since I answered your question. Is there anything you need further clarification on?