bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Im doing accounts tourist attraction. It is being renovated

Customer Question

Im doing accounts for a tourist attraction. It is being renovated so there is bound to be some work that will be either zero VAT or 5% VAT. Where is the best place to look, looking for an exact place - HMRC website is too general, for to see what rules are there about what is taxed at what rate. please advise. thank you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Have a look at VAT Notice 708. This gives the full chapter and verse upon what is zero or reduced rated building work. You will find it here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction I do hope that I have been able to solve your difficulties.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Keith

thank you for getting back to me - very helpful. I am now looking at paragraph 13. they list things but it is not clear which are zero-rated or reduced-rated. How do find out? is there a more detailed list. It just says either or but where can i find eg. incorporated is zero rated while ordinary is reduced-rated.

Would you know? thank you

Yarka

The list is in a table at paragraph 2.1 with building types and VAT levels, Yarka, as I told you in my original response.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i saw that, I actually thought there will be different rating for diffent fixtures, works done...

so if i understand it correctly - we are a tourist attraction, grade 2 listed bulding - we'd be under section 9 20%

Correct; most of these zero and reduced rated supplies are involved with dwellings for domestic occupation.
Your services are standard rated for this activity.
Please don't forget my rating.
Thank you for your support.