bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have started working offshore company based in Dubai

Customer Question

I have started working offshore for a company based in Dubai and looking for advice on how i can become a non resident. My wife and children will still be staying in the UK.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Firstly complete a Form P85 and send it to HMRC. On receipt HMRC will make you non resident for the tax year after the date of your departure and furthermore split the leaving year into two portions, one resident and one non resident. The form is available on the web and can be filed on line. The form provides for any over payment of tax on departure to be refunded on leaving. On final retyurn o the UK tell your tax office and the situation will be reversed and you will become resident again.. Simple, as the Meercat in the TV advery would say. I do hope my reply has been of use to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for answer. so if I was to leave the UK next month and had already been in UK for more than 91 days, I would be a resident for this tax year?
No, because the P85 procedure splits the tax year of departure into two portions. You will only be classed as resident until your leaving date. The 91 day rule apples to the next tax year et seq. In theory the 91 days can be averaged over four years, but the general consensus amongst experts on this site is never to exceed the magic 91 in any one tax year.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Thank you for your support.