bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

We own a family run pub/restaurant and have been open

Customer Question

We own a family run pub/restaurant and have been open just over 14 months. We have employed a chef with the agreement that he receives £420 a week net and have been directly paying his paye and NI for him to hmrc.
At the end of the financial year he let it slip that he received a tax rebate of £1700. Meaning that of course we have over paid his tax and NI by a very considerable amount due to his tax code being incorrect.
I did draw up a contract which stated that his pay was '£420 a week' although he never actually signed it.
He has received advice and has informed us that the rebate is his despite it being us that has physically over paid the tax by this considerable amount.
Please can you let me know where we stand with this?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer and happy to be able to help you with your question. You have been operating PAYE correctly with your employee. What else he is doing and what rebates he has received is not your concern. Providing you are operating PAYE, using the tax codes notified by HMRC then there is nothing else for you to do. My advice is to keep well out of this; do not get involved, just continue as you are. He is responsible for his own tax affairs. I do hope that I have shown you the way forward in this matter.