TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

When you get back dated pay ie last year I recieved my illhealth

When you get back dated pay ie last year I recieved my illhealth pension they gave me a lump sum backdated payment as it took 3 years for me to appeal the rate I would get. The lump sum was nearly £41,000 which was almost 3 and a half years of my pension. When this ammount is taxed are the hmrc supposed to take into account my yearly allowance for the 3 and a half years as they took over £17,000 in tax, could you give me any advice
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

You should write to the tax office and refer them to the HMRC manual pages here and here. You will need to give a breakdown of the arrears and to which tax years they relate. The tax position for each of the affected years will be re-calculated and the tax deducted in one lump effectively re-allocated. Keep a copy of any letter you write to the tax office.

If you suffer any more stalling, make a complaint. Read the notes on complaints here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.