TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

We have a 2011 Toyota Hilux (private use not business)

hello!
We have a 2011 Toyota Hilux (private use not business) that we are hoping to trade in towards a new car! However we are coming across the same question from dealers "is it VAT qualifying?" have no idea how to find this out - can you help???
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi.Take a look here and here for the definition of VAT qualifying and VAT non-qualifying cars. It depends whether the car was new or used and whether you were VAT registered when you bought the car and reclaimed the VAT you paid Assuming you were not VAT registered when you bought the vehicle you would not have been able to reclaim the VAT you paid. That makes it a VAT non-qualifying car. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello!

Bought privately and was a used vehicle- am not VAT Registered so to confirm if we look to trade in this counts as a VAT NON QUALIFYING VEHICLE!

Have read the two links you sent and that would back it up!!

Thanks so much

Kat

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Would you kindly rate my answer before you leave the site please.