TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Company formation & tax savings

Company formation When a company is formed, owner wants to be the sole director. I understand a person has to be a Company Secretary but that cannot be the owner/director. Can the Company Secretary be a spouse/partner? Is it acceptable by HMRC for the spouse/partner to be paid a salary for taking that position? Can the company claim tax deductible salary expense and the spouse includes as taxable income?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

It isn't compulsory for a company to have a company secretary as you will read here.

There is nothing to stop a spouse or partner being appointed as the Company Secretary and being paid for it. If a salary is paid, it will be a tax deductible expense for the company. The salary would be taxable and subject to NIC depending on the level of the salary. The tax payable would be affected by the individual's overall income from all sources.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.