TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

My husband and I are living in the USA after 30 years' residency

My husband and I are living in the USA after 30 years' residency in the UK. We just sold a property in the UK and need to report the sale to HMRC. I can't see how to do this as a married couple -- the online form looks like it's designed for an individual to submit. Thanks!!
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
HelloThe online form is for individual use. If the interest in the property was held jointly, each individual must notify their own share separately.You each complete one showing your percentage (presumably half).Whether you are registered with HMRC for UK tax through Self Assessment or not, you must report each property you dispose of after 5 April 2015 separately to HMRC. You do that using HMRC’s online form.