taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

What tax on a property in france not lived in years.

Customer Question

what tax on a property in france not lived in for several years. was the main home and no other property owned at the same time or since.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

As the property in France was your main residence at some point during period of ownership, you would be able to claim private residence relief for the period it was your main residence. You say you have not lived in that property for several years.. if the property was let during that time, you should be able to claim letting relief for period let.
The final 18 months of ownership always qualifies provided the property has been your main residence at some point during period of ownership.

After taking all reliefs into account, if there is chargeable gain then you would claim your annual exempt allowance against it (current tax year £11,100) and the balance would be taxed at 18%, 28% or a combination of two depending on your taxable income in the year of sale.

More information on private residence relief is covered in HMRC helpsheet hs283 here (please look at how the relief works)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-residence-relief-hs283-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs283-private-residence-relief

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.