bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My wife and I are retired Swiss nationals living in France

Customer Question

My wife and I are retired Swiss nationals living in France on UN pensions.
I would like to spend around 3 years living (but not working) in London in a small rental apartment.
My wife and I will visit each other during this time, but she will continue to reside in France, which will remain our principal residence, and we will be making our tax declaration, and paying taxes, jointly in France.
I will be paying Council tax in London for my rental property, but will I need to pay income tax in the UK separately?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year you would be liable to UK taxation on your world wide income and have to self assess at the end of every tax year (5 April). Under the Double Taxation Convention between the UK and France you are only taxed in one jurisdiction for the same income stream. This is achieved by the means of tax credits, any tax deducted in one country being allowed as a tax credit against the liability in the other. The Convention does not, however, protect you from differences in rates of tax. France's taxation system is so complex and so constantly changing that apart from very general points I would hesitate to give advice. France has five times as many ta inspectors per head of population than does the UK and local, trusted professional assistance is recommended. Council tax will, as you surmise, have to be paid anyway. I do hope I have helped you with your question.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.