TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

What are the tax rules income if you rent a room

What are the tax rules for rental income if you rent a room in your house?
I think I recall that some years ago it didn't have to be declared but now it has to be declared...
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Look here for the rent a room rules.

A resident landlord can earn up to £4,250 per annum tax free. There is no need to report it to HMRC.

If the income is more than £4,250. then it has to be reported to HMRC in a tax return.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

has the rule changed since 1999?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
The requirement to report or not depending on the level of the income has not changed as far as I'm aware since 1999. I've had many clients who have used the rent a room relief. all you do is put an "X" in box 4 on page UKP1 here. I have to say, though, that many people who don't complete self-assessment tax returns (most of the working population) will not bother to register for self-assessment simply to tell HMRC that they received £4,250 or less in tax free rent a room income.