bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

We have set up a small company that helps a council with

Customer Question

We have set up a small company that helps a council with energy management and have 2 directors. We both work from Home. We both get a small salary from our company.We have recently rented some serviced offices to set up a lab so we can carry out some R&D. We still continue to work from home most of the time.How can we claim for our Mobile telephone and broadband usage and some element of heating for the space we occupy in our own houses OR are we just better off claiming £4/week which I understand is the HMRC allowance that each one of can claim as an expense.Thank you.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You claim your mobile phone and broadband usage by passing the expense through the company's books of account. It is adviseable to have hard copy records of such expenditure. You can claim the following for the use of a room in your dwellings [source Tax Aid]: 'Simplified flat rate deduction basis for 2013-14 onwardsAn alternative basis, available from 2013-14 onwards, is to claim a flat rate deduction:£10 a month for 25 hours to 50 hours working from home£18 a month for over 50 to 100 hours£26 a month for over 100 hours.' This, like the 45p per mile [25p after 10K miles], is a rough and ready twist of the spoon to stop the treacle running off so to speak. It is considerably more convenient to use than calculating actual expenditure which is why it is employed by so many small businesses. Just extract these sums and pass them through the company's books of account; don't forget some supporting hard copy evidence of usage. Please remember that directors of companies are employees per se and must have salaries paid under PAYE arrangements. This rule does not apply to refunds of business expenses. I do hope my reply has been of assistance.