bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Tax summary and explanation of typical charges needed re

Customer Question

Tax summary and explanation of typical charges needed re Investment Bonds held in trust.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and please to be able to assist. Could you please expand upon your question a little.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am writing a Will and trying to provide Trust terms/wishes regarding 2 discretionary trusts. Firstly I think I am right in saying that currently up to 5% per annum can be withdrawn from an investment bond in trust, and that as this is "return of capital" it is effectively tax-free for (say) 20 years and avoids the trustees having to make a tax return ... is this correct please? Secondly I am confused about liikely charges but can you confirm the first bit?
The taxation position is extremely complex so I do require a little more detail. Taxation has a very comprehensive article on the subject which you cna find here: http://www.taxation.co.uk/taxation/Articles/2014/01/08/318431/bond-we-trust
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That link is subscriber only unfortunately.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there?
That's funny, I am not a subscriber and it came straight up on my PC! However you are correct in your surmise regarding 5% per annum withdrawals; not drawn moneys can be carried forward thus expanding the 5% envelope slightly.
Try this link: http://www.pruadviser.co.uk/content/knowledge/technical-centre/tax_planning_uk_bonds/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. ***** am confused about charges. As I understand it, unbundled funds are banned for direct investors. However I am seeing different fund classes on the lists of available investments from (e.g.) Aviva as a bond provider. This sounds as if bond providers are retaining obsolete fund classes providing them with opaque revenue. How can I get to the bottom of this?
I regret that Just Answer protocol forbids me giving direct advice on products.
To get to the bottom of your reaearch would involve extensive reading of the small print, but I would not be surprised if you found your theory correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks for the help
Delighted to have been of assistance.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Thank you for your support.