TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I AM CURRENTLY AND HAVE BEEN WORKING OVERSEAS YEARS.

I AM CURRENTLY AND HAVE BEEN WORKING OVERSEAS FOR MANY YEARS. MY KIDS ARE BACK IN SCHOOL IN THE UK AND I HAVE A UK HOME AND MORTGAGE TO PAY. I OPENED A UK BANK ACCOUNT TO FACILITATE PAYMENTS OF SCHOOL FEES AND MORTGAGES AND WAS WONDERING IF THIS IS OK ? SOMEONE SAID THAT I SOON AS I TRANSFER THE MONEY INTO THE UK IT WOULD BE TAXABLE. IS THAT TRUE ?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi.It's not true.Many people work abroad and are non-UK resident for tax purposes. However, they may have a UK based family who need to be financed and, as in your case, a mortgage to pay. Nobody working as a contractor in Iraq or Afghanistan is going to take their family to either of those countries. The same applies to other countries too. So long as you comply with the rules as outlined here and set out in detail here, you won't have to pay UK tax on your overseas earnings.I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.