Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I'm employed and have use of a company car I have

I'm employed and have use of a company car for which I have p11d charges for private use for the car and fuel.
I work a second job- self employed - and use the car extensively. Can I claim a proportion of the p11d car charges against my self employed income ?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question Sadly no, as its not your car and the P11d Car and Fuel charge arises due to the private use you have of this company vehicle, so you have no direct out of pocket expenses that you can relay to the self employment. But you can claim 45p a mile against the self employment (for the first 10,000 miles and then 25p a mile thereafter (so do keep a note of the business mileage you undertake for the self employed trips and claim this against the self employment income)Let me know if I can be of any further assistance ThanksSam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that,
So I can claim the 45p per mile even though its not my car and I'm not actually paying for the fuel ( except by way of p11d charge ) ?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Yes you are in essence paying for the fuel as the fuel charge - but this fully bypasses that factor as the 45p a mile (for first 10,000 miles and 25p a mile thereafter) is just recognising the fact that you undertake this business mileage and do have some semblance of out of pocket costs under its title of the mileage methodIf the car was your own then you could choose this - the mileage method of the actual method (which takes into account the fact that you have out of pocket expenses with all aspects of the running costs of the vehicle (fuel, insurance.MOT. Servicing, Car Tax etc AND that the car is business equipment |under the Capital Allowance/Annual Investment Allowance regime) Hope that helps, let me know if you require any further assistance with this matter - and if you would take the time to rate the level of service I have provided, it would be appreciated. ThanksSam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Sam. That's clear.
Appreciated. Will fill in the rating box.