taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

From 12/2012- 8/2013 I worked in a car wash. I got paid

Hi, From 12/2012- 8/2013 I worked in a car wash. I got paid cash in hand. 8/2013- 10/2014 I worked in a cleaning company with a contract. I know that I have been signing under a student visa name. I received all money in my bank account I also received
pay slips. Beginning of 2014 I applied for NINo So my last job as a delivery required to have a UTR so since 02/2015 I am registered as self-employed. Friends have told me that I receive letters for national insurance contributions. I don't have those letters.
I haven't done anything taxwise up to now and I don't know what to do.
Expert:  ben.jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.can you tell me was there a tax code on your pay slips please.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.You state "Friends have told me that I receive letters for national insurance contributions. I don't have those letters."You started self employment in Feb 2015. There is a change in how class 2 National Insurance is paid and this change came from 6Apr 2015.Previously, one would pay Class 2 NI at £2.75pw by DDs.This has now changed.. from the tax year 2015-16 most people will pay class 2NI along with class 4 NI and Income tax with your self assessmnet payments.Maybe, thats why you have not received any letters.If you started self employment in Feb 2015, your firstself assessment tax return would be for the period to 5 Apr 2015. You have up to31 Oct 2015 to file this return in paper format or the deadline for filing yourtax return online is 31 Jan 2016.You can download a tax return from HMRC website. The link is herehttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/self-assessment-tax-return-sa100 More information on National Insurance for self employed can be found herehttp://taxaid.org.uk/guides/information/an-introduction-to-income-tax-national-insurance-and-tax-credits/national-insurance/national-insurance-for-the-self-employedI hope this ishelpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Best wishes