bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have late payment penalty filing the tax

Customer Question

Hello, I have late payment penalty for not filing the tax return in HMRC for 2013-2014/ I thought my accountant did it but unfortunately he has not/ So the penalty is £300 plus daily penalty of £900 Can you please tell me how to write off the £900 daily
charge? My maternity leave started March 2014
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. HMRC have, in fact, been soft peddling on penalties of late, so I would be inclined to write to them explaining the circumstances and that Department may relent. I should also be inclined to write to your accountant and demand an explanation of his antics together with a bill for the penalties incurred by his negligence. You could also report him to his professional body if he has one. That is about the only way forward in this matter.
Thank you for your support.