Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I would like to know how could I have a NI if I'm not

Hello I would like to know how could I have a NI if I'm not a UK resident and a director of a limited company. Regards
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of te UK tax experts here on Just Answer. Do you mean National Insurance number ? And are you a director of a Uk limited company and not resident in the UK? Are you paid income or dividends from this UK company? Please advise further what you are asking for information on Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sam,

Indeed I mean National Insurance number.

I am a director of a UK limited company and not resident in the UK. Actually I travel between the UK and Belgium and have utility bill in the UK.

I registered for the PAYE employer and was asked a National Insurance Number.

Basically, my question is could I use my tax number from Belgium, knowing that I will have to pay taxes in the UK

Melissa

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your response and the additional information.As you travel between the UK and Belgium and the company is in the UK then you will need to apply for a National Insurance Number (I am afraid the Belgium number will not be valid in the UK) Here is a link for applying for a National Insurance number https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number You can telephone to arrange an application but may need to attend an interview regarding the application. Do let me know if I can be of any further assistance - but it would be appreciated if you could rate the level of service you feel I have provided. Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your answer. I had a NHS number when I was a student in London. Do you know if this mean that I had a one point a NI number and that I could still be valid.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your response The NHS number is ***** do with registering for medical services, and has nothing to do with National Insurance directly) some of the National Insurance paid goes to pay the NHS staff and provide the medical equipment - but also supports the fire service, and teachers etc) So this is nothing to with the need for a National Insurance number. So you still need to apply for one Thanks Sam