Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

VAT. We are a charity and run an allotment which is exempt.

VAT. We are a charity and run an allotment which is exempt. We claim its output should be zero rated as it is food.The allotment should therefore be zero rated.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HI I agree with you that the food should be zero rated, and as long as its the charity making use of the allotment themselves (and its owned by them ) then there would not be any taxable supply arising. If however the allotment is rented out (so the charity collects rental income) - then this changes the situation although only if there has been an opt to tax the land (which would not seem to be the case here) I would then advise you write in with the situation and ask HMRC VAT to formally state why there should be output taxa rising, and the legislation from which this legislation arises from If the situation is different from the two scenarios advised above, then please advise further.ThanksSam