TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am British but I live in Argentina. My current

Customer Question

Hello, I am British but I live in Argentina.
My current boss wants to pay part of my salary into my UK bank account, approx $2000USD per month. I assume I will have to pay tax on this? How do I go about paying the taxes from Argentina and can I declare expenses, such as flights between the UK and Argentina to get the tax back?
Thanks for your help!
Cara
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Can you tell me why your boss wants to pay part of your salary into your UK bank? Do you work solely in Argentina? Are you treated as non-UK resident for tax purposes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The company is actually based in the US and I do market research for them in Argentina. They are unable to transfer the money to Argentina due to legal issues.

Yes I am treated as a non-UK resident for tax purposes.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

If you have part of your salary credited to a UK bank account, that won't make it taxable in the UK. Many non-UK resident individuals send money back to their families in the UK for living expenses, mortgages etc without sabotaging their tax status. Your UK payment would only be taxable in the UK if part of your job involved you working in the UK which it does not appear to.

Its academic but if it was taxable in the UK, you wouldn't be able to claim the travel costs. You could claim a tax repayment from where you are.

I hoper this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.