bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have called the tax office so many times that I am on a low income but they have refused

Customer Question

I have called the tax office so many times that I am on a low income but they have refused to listen each time I called. I was self employed since 2011 and only worked part time roughly 2800 pa. but they insisted I should fill a return.in 2011 I moved from the address to and to my surprise I got a letter stating am owing the 11thousand pounds fine for not doing my returns. what can I do
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You will have seen from adverse media comment that telephonic contact with HMRC is a waste of time. Your tax office is technically correct as a self employed person must self assess annually and cannot hide behind the low income rule [ie below 2.5K earned]. Thus penalties can be imposed, but following extensive adverse publicity this policy is being soft pedaled. As there is no loss of revenue here I suggest that it is highly likely that if challenged these penalties will be withdrawn. What you must do is file all missing tax returns and write to the office explaining the situation and requesting that the penalties be withdrawn, effectively appealing against their imposition. In view of your low income I am surprised that HMRC are requiring you to self assess at all. As there is no revenue due processing your returns is an exercise in financial and administrative futility. I do hope that I have been able to show you a way forward in this matter.