bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I know that council tax is based on 1991 valuations but

Customer Question

Hi, I know that council tax is based on 1991 valuations but what happens if my property is being built/finished next month? Is it based on the current value? Or what would have been the 1991 value? If it's the assumed 1991 value how do I work this out?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. With respect, you do not work it out. The decision as to the banding of a newly constructed building rests with the Valuation Office Agency, part of HMRC staffed by Chartered Surveyors. The local office will make the assessment. You can appeal against their banding, but to be frank, they are usually pretty accurate in their decisions as the Agency is advised of the value of every land transaction. I do hope my reply has been of assistance.
This poor rating is not terribly helpful. I have told you how the banding will be assessed and by whom. Unless you yourself are a rating surveyor, and there are few of them about (when I worked in the LCC Valuer's Department there was just one of those amongst hundreds) you simply cannot do it yourself.
I submit that the rating should be upgraded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I was wanting to know though if they base their ratings on 1991 valuations? Or are they basing on the valuation of now?
On 1991 valuations; that is how the council tax system works. As the Valuation Office Agency are notified of all property transactions as a matter of course making a 1991 valuation on a new build is relatively simple.
Thank you for your support.