taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

How to fill in capital gains form

how to fill in capital gains form
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Please advise where you are stuck.. have you downloaded/got a blank form SA108.If not, you can download one herehttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/self-assessment-capital-gains-summary-sa108I will help you fill the boxes..did your gains exceed £11,000 or proceeds exceed £44,000? Many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the form Sa108.

Total nett dividend =£890

John, thank you for your reply.

In your initial posting you stated "Already Tried: submitted tax return inc. details of fund and share account summary. I now need to fill in "Capital gains summary"".

By implication it meant you have made a capital gain from maybe sale of investments and that it has to be reported and you wished to know how to fill capital gains summary.

You are now saying that you have the form and that your net dividend was £890. Dividends are reported on the main tax return SA100 under Income Box 3 - dividends from UK companies and these are not reported on any other supplementary pages.
You can download SA100 here
https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-forms-and-helpsheets

You would use SA108 to report capital gains/losses and not income.

What makes you think you have to complete Capital Gains summary?

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I assume I only need to fill in formSa108 .

Presuming I have sold shares during 2014/2015

John, thank you for your reply.

You need to fill in form SA108 for tax year 2014-15 if you sold shares during the tax year and
- your gains exceeded £11,000 or

- total proceeds were greater than £44,000

otherwise you don't fill SA108.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have possibly sold shares during the tax year - but NEVER got anywhere near these figures.

It seems they are still asking me to submit tax return SA100 as they refer to Boxes 21+27+33 on the form Sa108

John, thank you for your reply..

Please check if you put a tick in the box headed "Capital gains summary" within the main tax return. If so, untick it.

Box 21 = Gains in the year before losses (listed shares and securities) .. it should have a zero

Box 27 = Gains in the year before losses (unlisted shares and securities) .. it should have a zero

Box 33 = Gains in the year before losses (property and other assets and gains) .. it should have a zero

I hope this is helpful.
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.