taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am resident in North Cyprus, I would be grateful if you could

I am resident in North Cyprus, I would be grateful if you could confirm how many days per year I am allowed to spend in the UK before becoming eligible for Income Tax?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.Situations where a person will automatically be treated as not resident in the UK for a particular tax year are where:- A person stays in the UK for fewer than 16 days during the tax year.- A person stays in the UK for fewer than 46 days during the tax year, provided they have not been resident for any of the previous three tax years. Although actual residence status for tax years prior to 2013-14 must be determined according to the old, less certain rules, for the purpose of this test a person can elect to determine their residency status for years prior to 2013-14 according to the statutory test basis- A person carries out full-time work overseas (defined as working an average of more than 35 hours per week either on an employed or self-employed basis) during the tax year without any significant breaks. Visits to the UK must be fewer than 91 days during the year, and no more than 30 days can be spent working in the UK. A working day is defined as any day where more than three hours of work are carried out. You will be resident in the UK for a tax year and at all times in that tax year (although the effect of this rule is relaxed under split year treatment), if you do not meet any of the automatic overseas tests above and you meet 1 of the automatic UK tests or the sufficient ties test. The process to ascertain whether you are UK resident or non-resident for tax purposes is covered on pages 8-10 herehttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rdr3-statutory-residence-test-srt As a guide, if you were to spend less than 90 days in a tax year then you would be deemed as Non-resident for tax purposes. Here is information provided by my accountancy body you may find helpfulhttp://www.accaglobal.com/sg/en/member/cpd/taxation/cpd-articles/fa13-statutoryresidence.html I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.