bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I received a letter dated 18 September 2015 from HMRC about

Customer Question

I received a letter dated 18 September 2015 from HMRC about my 2013-2014 Tax Return which i submitted on the 1st May 2014. In it HMRC are making a correction and saying i owe additional tax. My question is can they make a correction almost 16 months after i submitted the return. I have been told that by law they can only make a correction within 9 months of submission of the return, in which case the correction they are now making is not valid.
Please advise
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Unfortunately for you yes they can [see CH51300]: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/chmanual/ch51300.htm HMRC can go back 4 years for normal matters, 6 years for careless behaviour and 20 years for deliberate behaviour; so they are well within their permitted time frame. However, you should check that their adjustments are in fact correct and if they are not you should appeal which you do simply by writing a letter. I recall on one occasion the Inland Revenue using a capital loss of GBP 420 as interest, so mistakes are often made. I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.